top of page
Search

The Bluenose and it's Masonic Connection

The famed schooner Bluenose was launched on March 26, 1921. As she celebrates her 100th birthday it might be interesting to note her Masonic connections.


This beautiful and well known ship was designed by a Mason, owned by Masons, and crewed by Masons.


Bluenose was a fishing and racing gaff rig schooner built in 1921. A celebrated racing ship and fishing vessel, Bluenose under the command of Angus Walters (a Mason), became a provincial icon for Nova Scotia and an important Canadian symbol in the 1930s. Nicknamed the "Queen of the North Atlantic", she was later commemorated by a replica, Bluenose II, built in 1963. The name Bluenose was used as a nickname for Nova Scotians as early as the late 18th century.


After a season fishing on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland under the command of Angus Walters, Bluenose set out to take part in her first International Fisherman's Cup. The International Fisherman's Cup was awarded to the fastest fishing schooner that worked in the North Atlantic deep sea fishing industry. The fastest schooner had to win two out of three races in order to claim the trophy. The Canadian elimination race to determine who would represent Canada in the 1921 International Fishermen's Trophy race off Halifax, Nova Scotia took place in early October. A best two-out-of-three competition, Bluenose won the first two races easily. Bluenose then defeated the American challenger Elsie, for the International Fishermen's Trophy, returning it to Nova Scotia in October 1921. The following year, Bluenose defeated the American challenger Henry S. Ford, this time in American waters off Gloucester. Henry S. Ford had been constructed in 1921 based on a design intended to defeat Bluenose.


Bluenose never lost a race, having defeated all challengers until her final race in 1937. She continued as a working vessel until she was wrecked in 1946.


This photo was taken prior to 1940. Most people do not notice the Square and Compasses painted on the stern between the words "Bluenose" and "Lunenburg".


Look closer:

In 1940 the Masonic Square and Compasses were replaced with 3 interlocking oval rings which are an emblem of the Odd Fellows. Captain Walters was both a Freemason and a member of the Odd Fellows.


The Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia Youtube channel has an interesting video clip on the Bluenose and it's Masonic connection. You can watch it here:


For more information on Bluenose 100th Anniversary celebrations, you can check out the Bluenose 100th Anniversary website at bluenose100.ca




Kommentare


bottom of page